Illuminating Co. organize to become the
United Electrical Employee Association.
In 1958, they become the Federation of Utility
In 1970, they become affiliated with the Utility
Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO.
In 1975, Local 470 and Local 471 are
established with the Utility Workers Union of
In 1990, the two locals merge and become
In 1998, the State of Connecticut deregulates
the utility industry.
In 1999, The United Illuminating Co. sells it's
two power plants, Bridgeport Harbor Station
and New Haven Harbor Station, to a Wisconsin
Energy subsidiary, Wisvest CT. LLC.
In 2002, the local must negotiate 2 separate
contracts simultaneously. Workers at United
Illuminating go out on strike for 25 days.
In late 2002, the power plants are sold again,
this time to PSEG Power of New Jersey.
In 2003, the Local creates a separate
Executive Board to handle the generation
In 2005, Generation successfully organizes
Duke Energy's Bridgeport Energy plant. The
Local negotiates a successful 1st Contract.
In 2006, Duke sells Bridgeport Energy to the
LS Power Group. The employees work for
North American Energy Services.
In 2007, LS Power sells Bridgeport Energy to
Dynegy, Inc. Dynegy hires the employees
directly. The Local negotiates a successful
2nd Contract for the employees at Bridgeport
In 2009, Dynegy sells Bridgeport Energy to LS Power, plant will be operated by NAES.
In 2011, LS Power sells Bridgeport Energy to Capital Power, plant will be operated by NAES.
In September 2011 Capital Power becomes the sole owner and operator of Bridgeport Energy.
In November 2013, Emera Inc. Completes Acquisition of New England Natural Gas Generating Facilities (Capital Power).